Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Learning Spanish


          When I was in 5th grade I had to chose what language to take in 6th grade. I had a choice between three languages, Spanish, Italian, and French. I wanted to take French but I was told by my Mom that Spanish would be a better asset, since there are more Spanish speakers in the United States. French ended up being canceled anyway because not enough students wanted to take it. I started learning Spanish in 6th grade. Before school started I was so worried that I would be lost in this class and fail every test, but it ended up being the exact opposite. I loved every second of it and even spoke it at home when I could. Then when I was 15, I started working at a dry cleaners where I met some El Salvadorians who spoke very little English. I helped them practice their English and they helped me practice my Spanish. I continued Spanish all throughout high school. I started college as a Math education major. I decided to switch for a couple of reasons. My math classes were extremely hard unlike in high school. I was tutoring a girl in math and she just did not understand no matter what I did. Then when I tutored someone in Spanish, I knew it was what I wanted to do. I switched my major and enjoyed every class I took leading to my degree. Then I studied abroad in Spain and increased my ability to understand and speak Spanish even more. Who knew that the class I was so nervous to take would end up leading to my future career.

Vocabulary

Fail -  To not pass the class

Opposite- A person or thing that is as different as possible from someone or something else

Practice- To do an activity often in order to improve your skill.

Switch- To change from doing or using one thing to doing or using another

Nervous- Worried or scared about something, unable to relax

Career- A job you have been trained for and do for a long period of time 


Vocabulary Cloze Exercise - 

1. My sister had a big room and wanted a smaller one. I had a small room and wanted a bigger one. We decided to _________________ rooms. 

2. Light is the _________________ of dark.  

3. Each student had to present their project in front of the class. When my turn came up I was so ________________.

4. My teacher told me that I would __________________ the test if I did not study. 

5. I had to ________________ soccer every day to prepare for the try outs. 

6. I went to Medical School because I want to have a ______________ as doctor. 


Grammar Point 
  
Write down all the past tense verbs used in this paragraph. 

Grammar Exercise

Take 6 of the past tense verbs and write a sentence for each using them in the present tense.


 


2 comments:

  1. Thats great. I always wanted to be able to speak another language. I yook Italian in HS but was never able to use it enough. It actually is a dream of mine (when I have some free time) to invest some time in learning and continuing the language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story about developing a commitment to studying Spanish! Your entry is a good start to the blog.

    ReplyDelete