Sunday, October 21, 2012

First day being a substitute teacher

On Thursday 10/18/12 I was called in as a substitute for my first time at Plainedge middle school, a school I once attended. I was excited but also nervous because I was sick and did not get a great deal of sleep. I decided to take the job anyway because I did not want to turn down my first offer. I got a call the first day I was on the list. I have been on the subbing list for Farmingdale since the beginning of  the school year and still no call. I was glad however that my first time was at Plainedge, somewhere I felt comfortable. It was a great experience. I subbed for my 7th grade social studies teacher. The students had to take a test for four of the periods and the other period they were working on a project on the computer. The students behaved pretty well for the most part, except for ninth period. The students were hyper and could not wait for the school day to be over. Like every other period the students finished the test early. They worked on the puzzle I gave them but did not want to quietly while other students were still taking a test. I had to quiet them down which was much more difficult then it was the other periods, but eventually they did listen. All in all I have to say even though I was sick and almost lost my voice, my first day subbing was better than I expected.


Vocabulary 

Substitute-  A temporary teacher teaching the class, while the teacher is out.
Attended - Regularly went to (school, church, class).
Sleep - To rest your mind and body by closing your eyes and becoming unconscious.
Beginning- The point at which something starts.
Comfortable - Feeling relaxed and happy, not worried and troubled.
Hyper - Very excited, nervous, or active.


Vocabulary Exercise

1. Yesterday I was very tired because I did get much ________________ the night before.
2. You have to indent the _________________ of every paragraph.
3. The other day I went to my friends house that I haven't seen in years, but I still felt very ________________ being there. It was like I saw them yesterday.
4. My teacher was sick today so we had a ________________ teach the class.
5. While I was babysitting the other night, the kids were very _____________, running all over the place.
6. When I was little I ______________ church every Sunday.


Grammar Point 

I used some words explaining how I or others felt (adjectives). For each of those words, write a sentence explaining a time you felt like that. If you can't think of a time, make it up.



1 comment:

  1. It is great that you got to substitute in Plainedge. I used to substitute in Massapequa, Seaford, and Levittown many years ago.

    ReplyDelete